Shooting prompts hunt safety doubts
NEW South Wales Premier Barry O’Farrell remains committed to plans to allow hunting in national parks despite a ban on a similar program in South Australia.
South Australia’s pest eradication program was shut down earlier this month after a hunter was shot in the ankle by another shooter during a supervised cull of feral goats at Onkaparinga River National Park.
Mr O’Farrell says the incident “reaffirms” the importance of a risk assessment the government is holding into its plans to allow amateur hunting at national parks in NSW.
“The fact is that we need to more effectively eradicate feral pests from our national parks,” he told journalists in Sydney today (Sunday).
“They not only damage national parks, they do enormous damage to adjoining farmland.”
Mr O’Farrell also pointed to other states, including South Australia, that have “successfully and safely” run similar plans.
“We are determined to bring those sorts of models to NSW,” he says.
The State Opposition meanwhile says the shooting accident in South Australia proves the program is not safe.
The incident highlights “the very real risk to public safety” when national parks are open to hunters, Opposition environment spokesman Luke Foley has told Sydney mediac.
He says safety measures in South Australia are also stricter than those required of licensed hunters in NSW.
Legislation for hunting in national parks has been put on hold until a review of the NSW Game Council is conducted. [more]