Cops book 1300 in 24-hour
mobile phone, seatbelt blitz
MORE than 1300 motorists have been booked during a state-wide 24-hour police crackdown on mobile phone and seatbelt offences.
During Wednesday’s Operation Compliance 2, officers issued 1353 traffic infringements – 983 in the metropolitan area and 337 in regional areas.
Of these infringements, 824 were for using a hand-held mobile phone while driving, 234 for seat belt offences and the remaining 295 offences relating to vehicle defects.
Sydney’s Rose Bay Local Area Command (LAC) had more mobile phone offences detected than any other in the state, with 81 tickets issued. Harbourside LAC came in second with 67 offences.
Surry Hills LAC had the most seatbelt offences detected with 18 tickets issued, followed by Tuggerah Lakes LAC with 13.
Police say instances of bad driving from the operation include:
About 4:40pm a 21-year-old man was allegedly travelling at 198km/h on the Newell Highway north of Forbes.
He was booked for exceeding the speed limit by more than 45km/h and his licence was suspended.
About 2:50pm a 29-year-old man was detected riding a motor cycle with together with a six-year-old child without a helmet.
When the rider saw police he allegedly removed the child from the bike and rode from the scene.
Police found the man and he was arrested.
Checks reveal the bike was not registered or insured.
About 9:50am police attempted to stop a heavy vehicle on the F3 Sydney-Newcastle Freeway near Mt White after the driver was seen talking on his phone.
The truck drove on for a period of time and when the driver eventually stopped he became abusive toward police.
A decision was made to move to a safer location and again the heavy vehicle did not stop when directed.
Additional police resources attended and the driver was arrested.
A mobile phone could not be located in the track but as police were securing the vehicle they heard a phone ringing and located a phone that had been secreted in the dash board of the vehicle.
The male was charged with not stop when directed, use hand-held mobile phone while driving, resist arrest and a registration label offence.
Traffic Services Acting Commander, Acting Assistant Commissioner Stuart Smith, says that these are disturbing and distasteful examples of driving behaviour.
“In terms of the truck driver, he has put himself and other motorists at risk by using a mobile phone whilst travelling on a busy freeway,” he says.
“Any device which can cause a driver to be distracted is dangerous. Clearly the message is not getting through.
“The amount of seatbelt offences is particularly shocking.
“It suggests that the seatbelt message is being ignored.
“The non-wearing of seatbelts has been a factor in a number of fatal crashes this year.
“These are lives that could have been saved with common sense.
“Wear your seatbelt every time you get into a vehicle or face a fine of $298 and three demerit points.
“Police will continue to focus on the road safety message – 191 fatal crashes to date this year with 208 deaths is sound reason for our road safety focus and continued high visibility enforcement of the road rules,” says Acting Assistant Commissioner Smith.